Steamed turbot, crushed potatoes with crab, and buerre noisette...


My on-going lack of a gas supply has resulted in me turning to some alternative methods of cooking.  I wanted to pan-fry some turbot, in a loose tribute to Tony Fleming's dish, but actually as his was steamed, it suddenly motivated me to get the steamer out of the cupboard - I'm quite sure it's not even been used a dozen times - but now it was going to come into it's own!  Needless to say the children had eaten all my lovely tomatoes - so the sauce vierge was also going out of the window.  I swapped over to a beurre noisette and capers - and here you have it...


The potatoes would apparently take 45 minutes in a steamer (45 minutes ?!?!?!), and the thickness of the turbot looked as though it would take 15 minutes.

I cooked the buerre noisette on a portable induction hob, ensuring that the butter had gone to a golden colour - then throw in some capers - and in my case, a little white balsamic vinegar, my new addiction.

The potatoes were crushed with a little white crab meat, and some sorrel and butter....

Overall, actually pretty quick, extremely effective and the steamer may find a place slightly higher in my list of gadgets than previously...